If you are looking for an outdoor lighting designer in the Raleigh area, you have probably been online doing your research. Of course, you want the best outdoor lighting for the best price. But how can you be sure you’re getting what you pay for? What if the designer you think is the best ends up installing lighting you don’t like? What if the system has problems a few months down the road? What if the system has problems and, suddenly, you can’t find the provider anymore? All of these are valid concerns, but you can reduce your risk of getting a nasty surprise. When you begin having conversations with potential providers or companies, be sure to get answers to these questions.
- Do you specialize in outdoor lighting? There are many contractors out there who do outdoor lighting on the side. They might be able to light your home, but if they do not specialize in outdoor lighting, they won’t be able to create the look a specialist can.
- What type of outdoor lighting do you install? Outdoor lighting types include line voltage, low voltage, LED, and solar. Each of these has pros and cons, and their differing characteristics will impact look, energy consumption, component durability, and even the type of transformer that needs to be installed. Be sure they know the differences and can explain them clearly.
- How do you design your outdoor lighting systems? Designers who truly care for their craft will focus on the overall effect the outdoor lighting has on your property. If designers are overly focused on a specific number of fixtures or if you feel they are simply trying to sell you something, they probably are. Look for a designer that explains how he/she will achieve an effect.
- What kind of fixtures do you use? Outdoor lighting experiences wear and tear from being exposed to the elements of our environment. Be sure that the fixtures used are tested and made from durable materials, like copper, brass, and PVC.
Who does your installation? Some outdoor lighting designers subcontract installation. It is best to choose a provider who also does the installation. This helps ensure that the provider is familiar with the ins and outs of outdoor lighting. Such knowledge will profoundly impact the look and safety of you system.
- What controls do you offer? It is rather doubtful you want to manually turn your system on and off each evening and morning. Controls help you manage your outdoor lighting system, can help conserve energy, and ensure that you get the full benefits of your system.
- What maintenance plans do you offer? Just like your home or car, the beauty and functionality of your outdoor lighting will fade with time if it is not maintained. By choosing a professional who also offers maintenance, your system will provide you with years of enjoyment without the hassle of needing to bring in another professional or trying to maintain it yourself.
- What warranty options do you offer? Designers who are confident in their work and products offer warranties. Limited warranties or the absence of them are warning signs, and the result of choosing such a provider could be very costly, even if initial costs are less.
As you are narrowing down your list of potentials, be sure that these questions are part of your conversations. And be sure you call Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Raleigh to see how we measure up. As the area’s premier outdoor lighting company, we would love to present you with our outdoor lighting options and show you first hand just what professional outdoor lighting can do for your property.
David Rohrer, Owner
Outdoor Lighting Perspectives of Raleigh